If you love makeup, you would know that eye makeup is the foundation of a great stunning makeup (no one can argue that with me). Eye makeup constitutes a number of products including mascara, eyeshadows, eyeliners, false lashes, kohl pencil, and so much more.
So after a long day of wearing your eye makeup, you find out that the skin around your eyes is dull, itchy, and red. What do you do? Will you stop wearing eye makeup? Of course not. So what you need to do is to opt for hypoallergenic eye makeup that is safe for the eyes and skin.
Are you Allergic To Eye Makeup? Watch This
So why should you go for hypoallergenic eye makeup? Keep reading, and you will have a deep insight into hypoallergenic products and how to choose the right one for your eyes.
Hypoallergenic Eyeliners for sensitive eyes
Hypoallergenic eyeliner is made for a sensitive eye to prevent the eye from getting red, itchy, and damaged. Here are three best hypoallergenic eyeliner that you need to know.
- Neutrogena Nourishing Eyeliner
Neutrogena nourishing eyeliner is one of the best hypoallergenic eyeliner you will find out there. This eyeliner is not only hypoallergenic; it is smudge proof which helps to make your liner popping. It is compatible with sensitive eyes, and it won’t leave your eyes dry and red after using. It is also rich in color and provides a long-lasting effect.
This Italy based eyeliner is designed to last for 16 hours without going off. Isn’t that great?
The eyeliner comes with a built-in sharpener, so you don’t need to sharpen the liner. With the built-in sharpener, you would always have a clean surface to work with, and you will be able to get close to your lash line every time.
This hypoallergenic eyeliner is nourished with vitamin E, so your eyes is always protected even after you take the liner off.
This hypoallergenic pencil eyeliner is one of the best eyeliner you will find in the market. It is easy to use, and it stays put like a liquid because of its gel formula. It is long lasting, non-transfer, and waterproof.
How to check if you are allergic to eyeliner
You don’t need a diploma to know when you are allergic to eyeliner. When you are allergic to eyeliner, you will experience one or two of the following symptoms:
- Red spots or red eyes. Have you ever noticed that after you applied your eyeliner, you started feeling a burning sensation and the whites of your eyes immediately turn red or you find some red spots on your eye. That is a sign! You don’t need anyone to tell you. If you have seen this sign, you should opt for a hypoallergenic eyeliner and ditch your old one.
- Swelling. It is not beautiful when your eyes swell after you use your eyeliner. This swelling can range from normal to severe. So when you start seeing this sign, opt for a hypoallergenic eyeliner
- Blisters. If you start noticing a red bump on your face once you apply the makeup, it is best to opt for hypoallergenic makeup. The red bump might not come immediately after you apply the makeup, it might come later. But you should still opt for hypoallergenic makeup to stay safe and free of blisters.
- Itching. It is so annoying when you spend hours on your makeup to start itching after you are done with the makeup. However, itchiness can be a sign of seasonal allergies; it can also be a sign of an allergy to makeup. So you should opt for hypoallergenic makeup.
- Burning. Makeup should make you look beautiful and strong; it shouldn’t hurt you. When you start noticing that your eyes burn after applying makeup, it means you are allergic to one ingredient in the makeup.
When you start seeing these signs, you might be allergic. It can also be an infection, that is why it is very important to keep your makeup clean and never share makeup.
In the market these days, there are number of products that claim they are hypoallergenic, but they are not completely safe for you. Before using a hypoallergenic product, check it is fragrance-free and mica-free. You should also consult with your dermatologist, so you will know which product best suit your skin.
What do you do when you have a reaction?
You don’t need to panic when you experience any reaction. Here are things you can do to calm the reaction.
Ø Wash off the makeup gently. Don’t scrub or rub it off harshly as it may increase the irritation effect.
Ø Use coconut oil or olive oil to soothe the affected areas.
Ø Avoid any makeup for the next 24 hours.
Ø Take lots of rest as it will make your eyes to relax for a long time and help to heal faster.
Ø If the irritation is severe and persists, consult your dermatologist and seek medical advice.
So you want to get a hypoallergenic eyeliner, what do you need to look out for.
What to look for when buying hypoallergenic eyeliner?
When choosing a hypoallergenic eyeliner, you have to make sure all the ingredients are natural and organic.
The eyeliner should be free from dyes, mercury-containing products, talc, mercury, fragrances, and parabens. All these ingredients can harm the sensitive skin and cause allergies.
For ladies with sensitive skin, it is advisable to go for powder based makeup rather than the liquid based makeup. Liquid-based makeup contains some oils that might cause allergies.
Here are some ingredients that you should always look out for before you buy an eyeliner.
- Mica. It is used as a texturizing and coloring agent in products. It is harsh and can irritate your skin.
- Fragrance. It is best to go for fragrance-free eyeliner, as fragrance can cause allergies to the skin.
- Parabens. It is a very common constituent that acts as a preservative in cosmetics. Examples of parabens include butylparaben, methylparaben, etc. parabens can irritate your skin tissues.
- Alcohol. Alcohol is used in lots of makeup. You should get a product that is alcohol-free as alcohol can end up drying your skin.
- Oils and butter. The silky effect found in eyeliners is derived from the use of some oils and butter. If you are allergic to a certain butter or oil, don’t use any product that contains that certain butter or oil.
How to apply eyeliner safely
If you have been applying eyeliners wrongly, here is a quick guide on how to use pencil eyeliners safely.
ü Start by sharpening your eye pencil. You should sharpen it every time to keep it clean
ü Make a dotted line beginning at the outer corner of your eyelid and start matching them.
ü Connect the dots with an eyeshadow that resembles your eyeliner. Blend and blur to soften the dots.
ü Swipe below your lower lash with the leftover product on your brush.
Don’t forget to keep the sharp tip of the pencil away from your eyes. That is why I recommend drawing and connecting dots. It is better off than tracing dots in such a very delicate area. You should always remember to keep your eyeliner brush clean to avoid infection and irritations.
Some tips for sensitive skin
- Always clean your brushes and don’t share your brushes with others
- Always check the ingredients before you buy a product
- Don’t and never make the mistake of using an expired product.
For ladies with sensitive skin, there is nothing to worry about. You can still look good and wear makeup. You have to be cautious about the makeup you wear.
You shouldn’t hesitate to take a look at the top three hypoallergenic eyeliner above to see the one that fits your skin and lifestyle. Don’t hesitate to visit your dermatologist if you need more advise on what product to use for your skin. They will always recommend safe products for your eyes and skin.